Monday, January 25, 2016

Saying goodbye to OKC and hello to Alva!

HELLER!

I have officially been transferred to Alva, Oklahoma! It is pretty much Hurricane just a little more ghetto and isolated but other then that it is basically home! Here in Alva we have a branch because we aren't big enough for a ward. We had 34 people at church and that is counting every little child. I think they sing louder then the OKC 2nd ward though! Every one here is super nice and funny!

Monday and Tuesday consisted of me packing and saying goodbye to some of my favorite people from the OKC 2nd ward. I didn't realize how much stuff I actually had. When you serve in the city you tend to become a hoarder pretty much. For example, I came out on my mission with maybe 5 or 6 ties...I may or may not have between 30 and 40 now. OH WELL!

Wednesday I made sure I had all of my things packed and we got ready to go. The Sisters came and picked us up and took us to transfers. I was a little sad to leave my old area because I loved it so much and all the people I served with. Sister Johnson was sad Sister Snyder and I were leaving. Sister Johnson treated both of us like we were her kids so Sister Snyder and I say that we are basically siblings. We got to transfers and there was a bunch of people there! I went around and said hi with a lot of the missionaries I know from the MTC and just the mission in general. I took a lot of pictures with them too! Then I loaded my stuff up in the truck and my new companions and I headed to Alva. We carpooled with Woodward to transfers because it is a lot of miles so we took them to Fairview and then we went to Alva and they went to Woodward. It is about a 3 hour drive from OKC to Alva so I got to go from not driving to road trippin! I missed driving so much!

Instead of having Elder Smith and Elder Morgan as companions I have Elder Richey and Elder Morgan. We are really intimidating because we are all 6'4. Elder Richey is actually a little bit taller then Elder Morgan and I. I guess Elder Smith's area was going to become a sister area and the branch president wasn't about to have that so we got Elder Richey instead.

Elder Morgan came out with me and served in the same zone with me for about 3 months so we were already friends. He is from Rexburg Idaho and has been in Alva for 3 months. I am not sure why he isn't the senior companion but I'm not gonna argue about that :)

Elder Richey came out a transfer (6 weeks) after us. He is from Sacramento California so the little town of Alva is a little different for him. He is kind of a weird kid but he is super funny!

We are teaching a lady named Joy who is going to get baptized on February 13. She has given up cigarettes and is working on coffee right now. She has gone from 2 pots a day to half a pot. She said she is going to be off of it by the end of the month. She has so much faith! We think oh yeah give up coffee just stop drinking it! When she was little her mom put coffee in her baby bottle and she has been drinking coffee for 74 years. She is so awesome and has adopted Elder Richey and I as her new grandson's. She calls me Elder Kyler because she refuses to use our last names.

I have gone to Kansas already and we helped a member renovate his new house. We got to tear down some walls and I even found a dead rat behind the dry wall. Of course I took a picture, what's service without a souvenir picture?

On Friday night we had a Branch FHE and each of us missionaries were in charge of a little station. I got to tell the story of Nephi when he broke his bow and then help the kids build little pencil bows. I kept it under control and they only shot at the target! I made a new little friend. His name is Cade and he is 7 years old. He sat with me throughout the FHE and read the scriptures/ate sweedish fish with me!

On Sunday we had to teach a primary class. We tried so hard but it was impossible for 3 of us missionaries to keep them under control. We ended up playing simon says and the quiet game for 30 minutes. While playing simon says we told them to sit in their chair, be quiet, fold their arms, and close their eyes.

I really like Alva! It is going to be so much fun being in a trio!

I hope you have a great week! Remember to read your scriptures and say your prayers!

Sincerely Elder Brisk :)

That is all.



Some of my favorite people I will miss so much!

The Parkinson's


 The Judy's


 The Gates


Sister Walker


 Brother Mueller


 The Wedendorf's


The Lusk's


The Middleton's 


 Brother Kidwell


 Elder Steed (My mission Grandma)


 Elder Van Halder and Debenham


 This is Elder Smith. I was really looking forward to being companions with him since he stayed at our apartment the night they flew in to Oklahoma from the MTC (Elder Karr and I baby sat him)


 Elder Thomas


 Sister Johnson


 Sister Snyder


Elder Neves


Our apartment fit for 1 person but has 3 of us :)




 Elder Richey and Morgan are hilarious! Elder Morgan likes to play nose goes for EVERYTHING!!


This is my new ride! Not really a truck just a car with a bed.


DEAD RAT!
 


Kansas




 Alva hasn't upgraded all of their street lights yet.









No comments:

Post a Comment