Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Tough days...but something is on the horizon

Heller!

I have been in the mission field for a month! It is crazy how time flies by when you're working hard.

This past week was alright. Wednesday and Thursday were probably the toughest days I have had on my mission so far. We only got to teach our investigator Terry. The previous week we invited him to pray and decide about a baptism date. He was excited and willing to do so and when we followed up with him Thursday he just said he hadn't thought about baptism at all and he just wants to finish the Book of Mormon along with some other concerns he has. I was so frustrated with him because he has been taught by the missionaries for 6 months and he already knows that the Book of Mormon is true. We just have to continue to be patient with him and teach him what he wants to know. It is really hard when we don't get to teach. We ride our bikes around in the heat and it will be the death of me. To top off my bad few days of not being able to find people to teach and riding bikes around the entire area we had Book of Mormon class. Every Thursday night we have a Book of Mormon class and I had prepared the lesson for last week. We got to Book of Mormon class and nobody showed up. Usually we have a great turn out but not a single person was there. I sat there confused, angry, discouraged, depressed, and every other emotion out there. I wanted to come home so bad. I was done with riding my bike, I was done wasting my time out here where nobody wants to hear our message. I was just done with everything. After thinking to myself and talking with my companion we were able to learn from those past few days. We no longer feel those emotions we had.

On Labor Day we had a zone P-day where the entire zone came to the church and we had a district volleyball tournament. We also had a huge Nerf gun war and that relieved my stress! I love my district so much!

We have been focusing on finding new investigators. We have potentials and we are pretty sure one of them blocked us so we can't contact them. Some peoples children. Something is on the horizon. Elder Karr and I know that something great is going to happen soon and we are determined to keep being obedient and diligent in the work.

I had the opportunity to give a blessing to one of our less active members, sister Valdez. Honestly I was terrified to give a blessing. I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to screw up. She is going through a really difficult time in her life right now but she continues to amaze me by how devoted she is to keep us coming by and keep reading the scriptures and praying. She had a bad experience at church one time and we have really been working on getting her to start coming back. Out of no where she told us she wanted her baby boy to be blessed and her daughter to be baptized. SHE CAME TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY! Her baby boy got blessed and Elder Karr and I sat in on the blessing. My first baby blessing ever! She came with her daughter and her husband who left her, hence the hard time she is having. After sacrament meeting we went to talk to her and there was a lady with her. We went to see who it was and apparently her mother drove 700 miles from new mexico to come to the blessing and didn't even tell her. She told us to keep working on getting her daughter back to church and then started walking out the door to go home. We were all confused and sister Valdez told her kids to go get her as she walked out the door.

I am learning so much from my mission already. My testimony is growing and I am building my faith so much! I know that this restored gospel is true. I know that it brings happiness and you will see that happiness if you live it. The church is true! Amen.

Sincerely, Elder Brisk

That is all.


This is my lovely district!
Left to right: Me, Sister Snyder, Sister Boulter, Sister Baldwin, Sister Garner, Elder Karr

No comments:

Post a Comment