Monday, September 21, 2015

Every Member a Missionary

Heller!

It's official! I have been out for 1 transfer now! Tuesday will be my 2 month mark! Last Sunday we got Transfer calls to see who would be getting transferred. The only change in our zone was Sister Garner. She got transferred to the Village ward. Now we have Sister Johnson. She has been on her mission for 11 months and she is a Spanish speaking missionary so her and Elder Karr like to talk in Spanish. Elder Karr tried to teach me Spanish but it didn't work out. I am going to stick with English!

Since transfers were last Wednesday, 28 new missionaries flew in on Tuesday. Elder Karr and I got to have 4 of them stay the night at our apartment! They all had their blow up mattresses and blankets. We made them breakfast burritos in the morning before the got picked up to go meet there new companions. They were pretty funny! Maybe I will get to be companions with them! I guess we will have to see.

I had a really good week! We had a quite a few appointments this week and only 2 of them flopped. We were able to reschedule them for this week though! Every Thursday we set goals for the upcoming week. This week we met almost all of our goals and we even went above our goal in some spots! We had 10 less active members at church! Sister Valdez, the less active we have been focusing on, came to church again Sunday. We are teaching her 9 year old daughter Elisa and they want her to get baptized in October when her grandpa comes. She has had the lessons a few times apparently so she remembered most of what we taught her but not all of it.

On Thursday we took our recent convert, Percy, to IHOP. Elder Karr and I got 2 gift cards but we had no way to get to IHOP. We decided to take Percy and buy him dinner. After dinner we went to Book of Mormon class. This week was our turn to teach. We had a lesson on prayer and it was fantastic! Percy liked it and is realizing that he needs to get his butt back to church!

Sunday night Elder Karr and I were knocking doors in a neighbor hood. We were walking and this lady crossed our paths. She look at us and said, "Oh Mormons! I know you guys got a Book of Mormon on you. I need a new one because I lost mine!". Elder Karr gave her the one he had in his hand and then she said, "Thank you." and walked away. Elder Karr and I looked at each other like uh what just happened!? Then I yelled "Mam!" and walked towards her and asked her if I could give her a card with our number on it incase she had any questions about the Book of Mormon or would like to talk with us. She said "Ok" and then walked off. It was funny!

We had a meeting with the Bishop on Sunday. We talked about how the work in this area has slowed down the past few months. We realized that we need the members to do there part. I referred back to my farewell talk. "Every Member a Missionary!" The members are the ones who really do the work. Without the members we don't have anyone to fellowship our investigators. We came up with a few ways to get the members more involved in missionary work.

As members, we need to take every opportunity we get to share the gospel. Invite someone to church, Pray for someone you think can use the gospel in their lives, share your testimony, give the missionaries referrals! ANYTHING! We give a lot of people pass along cards and they pass them out like candy!

My challenge for you this week is to be more involved in missionary work. Find ways to share the gospel with those you come in contact with. Pray for opportunities to share the gospel and the lord will put people in your path!

Sincerely, Elder Brisk

That is all.



Elder Karr and I trying to find souls in the ghetto...

Our last group picture before we said goodbye to Sister Garner!

The new crew of the OKC 2nd Ward! #SouthSide

This is Sister Garner's replacement, Sister Johnson.

I put every letter I get on my wall of letters!


What, What, What, What

This weeks random church sign.




No comments:

Post a Comment